Tips for safeguarding your information from the American Bankers Association
- Don’t give your Social Security number or other personal credit information about yourself to anyone who calls you.
- Tear up receipts, bank statements and unused credit card offers before throwing them away.
- Keep an eye out for any missing mail.
- Don’t mail bills from your own mailbox with the flag up.
- Review your monthly accounts regularly for any unauthorized charges.
- Order copies of your credit report once a year to ensure accuracy.
- Do business with companies you know are reputable, particularly online.
- Don’t open email from unknown sources and use virus detection software.
- Protect your PINs (don’t carry them in your wallet!) and passwords; use a combination of letters and numbers for your passwords and change them periodically.
- Report any suspected fraud to your bank and the fraud units of the three credit reporting agencies immediately.
- TransUnion: (800) 680-7289 www.transunion.com
- Experian: (888) 397-3742 www.experian.com
- Equifax: (800) 525-6285 www.equifax.com